“‘I have no notion of loving people by halves; it is not my nature.’”
– Northanger Abbey, Jane Austen
This is a bit of a belated blog post. I should’ve written about this quote last weekend, in a #JNGReads entry, but I had such a busy schedule that I didn’t get around to discussing these powerful words. This week, I started reading a new novel, Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood, and I don’t quite know how I feel about it yet, so I didn’t feel the urge to discuss any passages from the book right now. I decided, then, that it would be a good time to fill you in on my past weekend and discuss one of the lines from Jane Austen’s Northanger Abbey that I was particularly fond of.
Last weekend, my fiancé SS and I had a small but cozy engagement party with our dearest friends and family. We wanted to keep the event intimate and comfortable, so we focused on honouring and introducing some of the people who have been the most supportive and incredible to us throughout our lives. These young men and women will form our bridal party, and we really felt like getting them all together and formally asking them to share in our Special Day with us.
The barbecue/garden party was a huge success! We had tons of delicious food and drinks in SS’s immaculately landscaped backyard (his parents designed and constructed it themselves!), and it was amazing to see all of our friends and family conversing and getting along so well. We truly feel that we have the best wedding party in the entire world – they are all individuals who are kind, open-minded, genuine and so loving. We know they are going to be a huge help to us in the next year and 5 months (Ahh!) until the wedding.
The line quoted above from Northanger Abbey portrays exactly how I feel about these remarkable people that have agreed to be there for us on our Big Day. I’m an emotional person and I don’t censor my feelings in the least. So, although I wasn’t particularly fond of the character Isabella Thorpe from Northanger Abbey, I did absolutely connect to her statement that she cannot love others only “‘by halves’” – it is in her “‘nature’”, it is a crucial part of her identity that she gives her heart to people fully and without restraint. I feel the same way about the people I choose to let into my life, and I couldn’t be happier for it. I rely on these special friends, and I am attached to them without holding myself back.
On that note, I’d like to take this moment to introduce my side of the lovely bridal party to you all here on the blog. Since wedding planning is so exciting and there are so many literary aspects I’d like to incorporate into my big day, I know I will be speaking about these people very often, and I thought it would be helpful for you all to get a sense for who they are. I’ve decided to go with a bit of a royal theme for my half of the wedding party (SS is slowly following suit), so I’ve given each of my maidens and my Man of Honour a regal wedding alias for the duration of the planning and events. Here is JNG’s Wedding Party…
- Lady Camille ~ My dear friend since second year university, CV is an absolute force to be reckoned with in terms of creativity and ingenuity. She is passionate about literature (particularly a certain Miss Austen), as well as psychology and various technological advances in these fields. She is my absolute soul mate, my bosom buddy, my most effortless companion, and my love for her knows no bounds. I can go to her with absolutely any concern and she always puts me at ease and is a shoulder to lean on in all circumstances. I am so glad that we found each other in university, and I know she will be my lifelong companion and support.
- Lady Courtney ~ I’ve known hilarious, beautiful and fiery CL since elementary school, but it was high school when we became close and started to bond quickly. With a job in the entertainment industry and a love for all things pop culture, CL is an absolute blast to be around. She is also unfailingly loyal and supportive; she is always on my side and she is eager to boost my confidence and my self-esteem in any dire situation. I relied on her strength so much in high school, and she has continued to be a huge support to me in every regard. I love spending time with her because she always has me laughing and puts a smile on my face.
- Lady Kailah ~ KM is my oldest friend, meaning that I’ve known her for the longest time. We met in grade 4 and became utterly inseparable. Although KM moved to California for a short time during our high school years, our connection is so strong that our friendship remained perfectly intact; when she came back for visits, it was just as if she had never left. With a degree in kinesiology and a mind that can memorize absolutely anything, KM is a professional roller figure skater (she competed in the 2015 Toronto Pan Am Games!), and her commitment to her craft has always inspired me to be better and stronger. She has been with me for most of my life, standing by my side and urging me to get out of my comfort zone, try new things and be a more self-assured version of myself…and I adore her for it!
- Lord Brandon ~ My brother BBG was the obvious choice to be my Man of Honour. Although I have some incredible female friends (as you can probably tell by now), BBG has been attached to me since birth, and he knows absolutely everything about me. It’s not always easy for brothers and sisters to get along, but I can honestly say that BBG is a great support to me; he understands things about my personality that no one else ever will, and he has shared all of my experiences. He is a lover of books and writing (he’s even written his own novel, which is a complete masterpiece and will hopefully be featured on this blog someday!), and he is incredibly creative. Yes, he can be a bit of a pain sometimes, but as we’ve grown older and our relationship has matured, BBG and I have begun to truly rely on each other. I know that he will protect me in all circumstances, and I never doubt that he will be there for me and be rooting me on. He is the most dear and important person in my life and I am lucky to have him. He is exactly what he is supposed to be…a true man of honour.
And there you have it…that’s my wedding party! They’re all so different and unique, but I value them each and couldn’t imagine my life without them. I love them all so fully…never by halves and always 100% completely!
Bride with a Green Heart