“Little darling, the smiles returning to the faces
Little darling, it seems like years since it’s been here
Here comes the sun” ~ The Beatles
I am so excited and overjoyed to have been nominated for the ☼ Sunshine Blogger Award ☼ by the lovely Catherine at the blog This is One for the Books! I was lucky enough to stumble upon Catherine’s profile on Goodreads (she’s a fellow Canadian, which is what caught my eye to begin with), and I found her blog through there. This is One for the Books is an adorable and extremely eye-catching blog, and Catherine’s reviews are all thoughtful and well-written. I’ve already found a new favourite YA novel from her website (Since You’ve Been Gone by Morgan Matson) and I’m eager to read several more that Catherine recommends because I’ve already grown to trust her opinion. Definitely check out her blog because you will no doubt be intrigued by everything she writes!
Now, on to the particulars of the Sunshine Blogger Award…
☼ Description of the Award:
The Sunshine Blogger Award is given to those who are creative, positive, and inspiring while spreading sunshine to the blogging community.
(Aww, shucks, way to make a girl feel special! ❥❥❥)
☼ The Rules:
1) Thank the person that nominated you and link back to their blog.
2) Answer the 11 questions your nominator has given you.
3) Nominate 11 other people and give them 11 new questions to answer.
4) List the rules and display the award.
☼ Okay, so here we go, time to answer the 11 questions provided to me by Catherine…
- Describe yourself in a single word.
Ahh, I always find this sort of thing so hard because I feel like it is nearly impossible to sum a person up in only one word…but maybe loyal…?
- Where are you from, and what is the most common stereotype or misconception about your hometown/region/country?
I’m from Toronto, Canada, which is something I am super proud of! There are sooo many common misconceptions about Canadians, but probably the one that annoys me the most is that we are believed to be passive. I think that’s a gross overgeneralization, and I believe that Canadians are incredibly patriotic and protective of one another and our unique culture. So yeah, we’re definitely not going to lie down and be dismissed if other countries are being patronizing toward us…as I’m sure has been very evident in the news lately, to those not from Canada…
- Why did you start blogging? Is there a story behind the name of your blog?
I started blogging after finishing my Master’s degree because I needed an outlet to discuss books emotionally, which I felt I wasn’t able to do when writing academic essays. There is a story behind the name The World of my Green Heart, which I wrote a detailed post about that you can read here, and which relates to the first short story of my own that I ever wrote and the character I created for it.
- What is your favourite post you’ve written?
This is a tricky one, and I had to think about it a lot because it’s such an unexpected question, but I would say my review of one of my favourite romance novels of all time, The Hating Game by Sally Thorne. You can read my review here. I wrote the review in little bursts when I just couldn’t take my mind off the book, and I’m particularly proud of how honest and raw my words are!
- If you could choose any superpower what would it be?
This is going to come across as super lame probably, but I’d love to be able to know a language as soon as I hear someone speaking it. I think that could be such a valuable skill to have because you’d be able to blend in and feel comfortable in any country, and you’d also know if people are gossiping about you behind your back in another language – haha!
- What is one thing on your bucket list?
Well, I actually just crossed a big item off my forever bucket list: seeing a ballet at the Opéra Garnier in Paris. You can read about my experiences there (during my honeymoon) in this post here.
- If you could be any TV or book character for a day, who would you be and why?
Ahh, okay, this is so challenging because I love sooo many TV and book characters… GAH! Okay, I’m going to go with Queen Victoria, but as she’s portrayed on the ITV series Victoria – a young queen, just at the start of her reign and her marriage to Prince Albert. And particularly, I’d like to live out the events of the episode when she marries Albert. Yeah, that’d be AMAZING!!!
- What was your favourite movie or TV show as a kid?
Definitely Beetlejuice, the animated series. Also, I adored the movie version of Beetlejuice. I basically wanted to have an imaginary friend that would come to life whenever I said his name 3 times…I guess that probably translated into my love of reading and escaping on adventures with fictional characters.
- What is your favourite type of food to eat?
Oh jeeze, this is easily the hardest question yet because I LOVE food. But I’m going to have to go with cookies on this one…basically any kind! I would eat a cookie every morning for breakfast if it was socially acceptable and not horribly unhealthy!
- What is one song you will never get tired of listening to?
This is also tricky because I adore music of all genres and I’m an obsessive listener because I will play a song over and over, never getting sick of it. At the moment, I’m a bit obsessed with Meat Loaf’s song “I Would Do Anything For Love”…which I’ve actually listened to about 5 times while writing this post.
- What is the most adventurous thing you’ve done?
I have to be honest, I’m not the most adventurous person in the world, or even in the immediate vicinity at any given moment. Having said that, I do like to push myself outside my comfort zone, and I guess the last time I did that was when I accepted my new job. Not exactly adventurous, but it did mean switching into a new industry entirely and going after a career I’ve dreamt about for my entire life…so it felt like a big, scary and exciting step for me! I’m super proud of the fact that I pushed myself to get out of a job that was comfortable and try something more challenging and exhilarating!
Alrighty, now those were some awesome questions – they really got me thinking and I hope you enjoyed my answers! I’d love to hear your responses to these questions in the comments!
☼ My Sunshine Blogger Selections:
I would like to tag: Tony Burgess | Emma at Emma Reads Too Much | Lily at Sprinkles of Dreams | Brianna at Bookishly Bree | Lena at The Printed Girl | Victor at My Poor TBR | Destiny at Howling Libraries | Frankie Lovely at A Thousand Lives of Frankie Lovely | Chelsea at The Suspense is Thrilling Me | Crystal at Lost In A Good Book | Roselyn at Odds & Ends
Please feel free not to answer my questions if you’re not interested – but please accept this as a thank you for writing posts that always make me smile and get me thinking!
☼ My Questions:
- What is your favourite book written by an author from the country you live in?
- What are your favourite lyrics from a song and why do you like them so much?
- What is your favourite book to movie/TV series adaptation?
- What is your least favourite book to movie/TV series adaptation?
- What book do you think every person on Earth should read, and why?
- Have you met an author before? If so, under what circumstances and was it all you’d expected it would be?
- Where is your favourite bookstore in the world? Have you been there in person? Do you have a picture of it to share with us?
- What is your favourite bookish photo that you’ve taken or come across on social media? Share it with us!
- What is your guilty pleasure book/genre or movie/TV series?
- Who is your fictional crush or best friend (from any fictional story)?
- Who is one author you feel is seriously underappreciated? What book by them would you recommend to someone who has never encountered their work?
Thank you so much again to Catherine for brightening my day (or, more accurately, my year) with this nomination!
Janille N G
Girl with a Green Heart